LIBRARY IS OPEN for BROWSING.
CONTACTLESS PICKUPS are still available during open hours.
Mondays ~ 10 am – 2 pm, 3-7 pm
Tuesdays ~ 3-7 pm
Wednesdays ~ 10 am – 2 pm
Thursdays ~ 2:30-6:30 pm
Fridays ~ 10 am – 2 pm
Saturdays ~ 10 am – 2 pm
CALL 610-287-8360 TO SCHEDULE A PICKUP
Items must be returned in the book drop next to the front door.
NOTE: The book drop is for library materials only. Please remove items from bags before placing them in the blue box. All items returned in the drop will be quarantined for at least 72 hours before they are checked in. No overdue fines will be accrued during the quarantine period.
DO NOT place donation books in the book drop.
NO BOOK DONATIONS CAN BE ACCEPTED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Closed Dates for 2021
New Year’s Day – Jan 1
President’s Day – Feb 15
Good Friday – Apr 2
Memorial Day – May 31
Independence Day – Jul 4 & 5
Labor Day – Sep. 6
Thanksgiving Eve – Nov. 24 Closing 5 pm
Thanksgiving Day – Nov. 25
Christmas Eve – Dec 24
Christmas – Dec 25
New Year’s Eve – Dec 31
New Year’s Day – Jan 1, 2022
290 Second Street
Schwenksville, PA 19473
Library’s location on Google maps
Take 73 West to 29. Turn right onto 29N. Go past the first light, Perkiomen Ave., and turn left at the firehouse on the right, Church St.. Proceed 2 blocks to dead end and library is on the left.
From Lower Fredrick
Take Route 29 South/73 East towards Schwenksville. Pass the traffic light at Schwenksville Road. Proceed 2 blocks and turn right on Church Street, just opposite the firehouse. The library building is on the left at the top of the hill.
Take Route 29 North to Route 73 West. Continue straight into Schwenksville. Pass the traffic light at Perkiomen Avenue and proceed 2 blocks. Turn left onto Church Street just opposite the firehouse. The library building is on the left at the top of the hill.
History of the Perkiomen Valley Library
The first library in Schwenksville was started in 1934 by Miss Eva Meng, Estelle Kline, Edna Meng and Mildred Reed. It was located the basement of a house on Main Street.
The Library Corporation was organized and were officers elected on March 29, 1954.
The cornerstone of the Schwenksville Community Library was laid November 27, 1954 and the library moved was into its current location January 5, 1957. It was originally chartered as the Schwenksville Community Library, a non-profit corporation, to provide free public library service to the townships of Perkiomen, Lower Frederick, Skippack and surrounding areas.
From a very modest beginning, the Library today houses many more than the 12,500 volumes for which it was designed, as well as a spacious social hall that is used by various community organizations. For many years this Library was supported by volunteer contributions of time, money and books. The Schwenksville Women’s Civic Club, led by Elinor Edmonson and Kit Piotrowski, contributed countless hours to staffing and conducting the business of the library.
The name of the library was changed in 1985 to Perkiomen Valley Library to more accurately reflect all the communities served.
Today the purpose of Perkiomen Valley Library, Inc. is to provide a free, public and non-sectarian library for the residents of the boroughs of Schwenksville, Collegeville, and Trappe and the townships of Perkiomen, Lower Frederick, Skippack and Upper Salford and for such other persons as the Board of Directors decides.
Growing community needs led to a formal association with Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library. In 1996, the Library became a branch of MC-NPL, which affords users the benefits of MCLINC, a county-wide library network; Access Pennsylvania, a state-wide library network; and POWER Library, a comprehensive database repository. Today we are known as Perkiomen Valley Library at Schwenksville, A Branch of Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library. The library building remains the responsibility of Perkiomen Valley Library, Inc. The staff, day-to-day operations and collections of the library are provided by Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library.